Friday, June 03, 2011

Remember me?

Hi Friends,
I woke up the other morning feeling a bit adrift -- I had submitted my dissertation and did not know what to do with myself.

I had been working on writing this thing for three years, doing the research for another two. And then, BAM, done. What's a girl to do?

Obviously, there are school things -- department chair, faculty council chair, courses to prep. There are naturally plays to read. But gosh, what a weird feeling.

If one person comments on this, then I'll continue to offer insights into our changing world. Or even if no one comments...I bet I'll continue. My fingers need to be kept occupied.

Final two thoughts: I'm reading Colum McCann's LET THE GREAT WORLD SPIN and man is it good. You might pick it up, if you are looking for a good read.

Other thought: I could not have survived finishing my dissertation without these guys. I feel a little like I am cheating on Bruce with them, but heavens to murgatroyd they are damn fine.

And remember:

gotohellifyouhatefreedom,

V

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! You have a blog! It seems you haven't updated it in three years. I don't think that's allowed in the blogosphere.

I read LET THE GREAT WORLD SPIN, and I loved it. I read the description on Amazon, and I bought it for my Kindle because I really like the children's book THE MAN WHO WALKED BETWEEN THE TOURS. Then it turned out to have fantastic writing. I applied to the MFA program at Hunter College because, after I read that book, I really wanted to learn writing from Colum McCann (but of course I didn't get in). I was envious when I heard that McCann was going to be at Washington College because I was in Korea then. I asked a friend to get me an actual paper copy of LET THE GREAT WORLD SPIN and get it signed. I sent her a Haechi doll in return. I watched the recording of the Sophie Kerr ceremony online to hear McCann speak, and now I love his accent too. I don't understand why Americans have such awful accents when English and Irish people sound so nice. If I ever meet a linguistic anthropologist I'm going to demand answers.

Neal Durando said...

Thought about you a whole lot two weeks ago (less since, I admit) after coming across the foul matter of my play that you helped me with. Ah, Michelle if it weren't for distance I would insist on being fast friends. I remember such clever, useful talks with you. We started out like "Bam!" Two years of that horrid program in a horrid place in the midst of a horrid depression and here you come with brilliant ideas for work and, it must be said, progress. Congratulations on having disserted. As the old song goes, yes, "I remember you."

Yer fan,
Durando