Friday, March 30, 2007

leaving hull

hello, friends,

well, despite the fact that i was "warned" about the connection between eternal damnation and the city of hull, i've had a rather good week.

helen and i attempted to see the beverly minster...it ACTUALLY looks like this:


despite our smugness and helen's vast knowledge of the hierarchy of the church of england, it does not look like this:


the two do share a striking similarity (and, let's be honest, all big churches look pretty much the same), but we were just plain wrong. sigh. no wonder we are friends -- shared lack of directional abilities.

i've just finished my last module for the week and frankly, just in time. i am REALLY tired, having not slept much here. the bed in my room is a single and, since i'm used to a big queen, i've been waking myself up after whacking my arm on the wall.


oy.


i've also had little luck in finding some presents for you good, kind people, but the entire country shuts down around 5, which is when my classes have ended. it becomes like an instant ghost town. it is odd, but, once again, confirms why there is no more british empire.

really anxious to get home, and, luckily for me, i got bumped up to 'world traveller plus' in my seating, which gives me more legroom and space. and i got an exit row, so perhaps i'll sleep there. and of course, who can forget the "free drinks on overseas flights?" can anyone say "bloody mary."

all in all, it was a good trip and i feel really prepared to dig right on in on my dissertation. i do miss the girl -- i dreamt last night that she saved the life of a duck and was part of a car burglarly in which both my friend jeannie and my cel phone were taken. crazy where the brain goes...


right then, i'm off for a nap. then fish and chips for dinner.

and a 6:15 departure for manchester airport.

hope to see you all soon -- and much much love.

gotohellifyouhatefreedom,

volansky

No comments: