Sunday, March 25, 2007

i'm in england!

hello, friends,



well, it has been a long while since i've posted. i've discovered that some of my opinions are rather boring to anyone except me and so i've chosen not to share each and every one of them.



however, before i launch into the travel narrative, i did want to turn your attention to two sites worth observing:



the first is this one.



i know that some of you are liking the other one, or maybe even the other one. but i like my guy. i can relate to him, i think he's smart. and i think he is different. not the usual suspect. which is, for me, what it is all about.



the other site i think is REALLY important these days is this one. josh was the first on this story, and has continued to cover it relentlessly. there was an article in the times which seemed to suggest that the scandal (is that really the best word?) around the firing of 8 US attorneys is a non-event, but i have to disagree. to fire a guy like bud cummins to replace a friend of karl;s (remember karl, gang? he's not gone ANYWHERE...) seems more than a little fishy to this blogger.



what do you think?



so, i am currently in hull, england. here is where it is:



think secaucus, new jersey. think about the monty python sketch regarding your lover in bolton.

that's hull. not a pretty place. but i hope to find some fun, adventure and my dissertation.


however, i have encountered some technical difficulties:


my cel phone does not work here.
my laptop cannot get wireless here.
the computers are ANCIENT.
internet access is extremely limited.
there are 3 television stations on the television my room, which is, hmm, 'sparse.'


last night i popped over to the 'old grey mare,' the closest pub. it was a MOB SCENE because, of course, england was playing israel in a sport we call soccer. they were completely overwhelmed and weren't serving food because of the crowd. so, i had 4 gin and tonics and 2 bags of doritos for dinner. i'm hoping for fish and chips tonight.


today's adventures had me walking walking walking looking for someplace, anyplace to be open. out of luck. i did find a little grocey and got some essentials (a chardonnay, some pasta, kleenex).

i am beginning to see why england lost their empire.


more later, but i miss everyone and feel very disconnected. you can try to email me (volansky@yahoo.com) but know that internet is not this island's best friend.


gotohellifyouhatefreedom,
volansky

3 comments:

Kate said...

Welcome to my (adopted) island! And for the love of little apples, please don't judge it based on Hull.

I too attempted the pub yesterday around 5ish and walked right back out seeing as how I could not even SEE the bar.

Anonymous said...

Have fun in England, and let me know if you need any research-type things while you're there that I could email to you.

Also, if you go to a chip shop, get chips and brown sauce. It is a delicious combo, and tastes much better than it sounds.

Macho Man Randy Savage said...

Greetings from the States! (Although I am currently in DC, which is not so much a state. I digress.)

Perhaps this shirt would be to your liking:

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=902